The Endless Obsession

better code

IE "Unknown runtime error"

I received a wonderful error from Internet Explorer today: “Unknown runtime error”.

It seemed to be an Internet Explorer issue only, since it worked fine in other browsers. I was able to track this down to where the innerHTML for an element was being set.

I found out here that the problem was because my HTML was invalid. As the poster notes, IE is actually enforcing the spec, which is good. However, the error message is completely worthless, which is not good. Sadly, this is what I expect from IE.

In his example, he was attempting to inject an “li” into a “p”, which is obviously invalid. He noted that IE’s behavior seemed to be inconsistent, since it was ok with an “ul”. However, in my case I found that injecting an “ul” into a “p” caused the same problem. This may have been changed recently, a la Windows Update…

Comments